Friday 16 January 2015

Flemington & Randwick Today

Early rain around Melbourne has generally cleared although a possibility of light showers remains. Good 3 is the posting and doubt that changes even if a little rain does hit the track.
Randwick is a Good 3 and it's a fine sunny day there so fast Summer ground is the order of the day.
I took six weeks away from the racing and it's felt like six months this week. Summer racing in Australia is very moderate stuff and it's hard work ploughing through the form when the horses are so ordinary. I've pushed myself hard this week to stick with it but I've only managed to do around 20% of the business I would usually do in a normal week. What I have managed to do has worked thankfully but it's been a grind.
I'm giving Randwick a wide bearth today I just can't get an solid hand on the racing there today. The ones that look sound hopes are all too short for me to be interested.
Flemington is at least an interesting card but very tough. I'm not putting any bets up again this week I think I'll need another week back at least before I feel confident enough to be trying to persude anyone to follow anything I'm backing. The ones I did look seriously at are Zanteco in Race 1, Bayoonah in Race 3, and Simply You in Race 6.
Zanteco was 6.0 earlier in the week and is now top priced 4.40 which is about right.
 Bayoonah was 6.0 earlier which would have been very appealing but at 3.0 now she's short enough coming out of a maiden into Saturday grade. She's 1100m to 1400m here and will eat up the extra distance and is definitely the one to beat.
 Simply You went back from a wide draw at the Valley and was never going to bridge the gap thereafter. Her closing sectionals were excellent though and I can't see her getting too far back today. At around 4.50 she borderline value but I might be tempted to back her if she gets out to >5.0
That's as much as I can help anyone with today. Things will pick up gradually and we are only four weeks away from G1 racing returning so the better animals will be resuming shortly

No comments:

Post a Comment